DIY Mould Removal or Hire a Professional: Which Should You Choose?

SHARE THIS PAGE

“Building cancer” is the name given to structural damage causing mould.
Mould can be a big problem in your house.

A simple bleach solution can solve the mould problem, right? What about mould growth behind the walls?

If you’re unsure if it’s a DIY mould removal fix or if you should call a professional, we’ve put together some reasons why you should always call the experts to give you a full evaluation and determine the best course of action.

Why You Shouldn’t Attempt DIY Mould Removal

Mould is a type of fungus that thrives on moisture and reproduces through spores that travel through the air. Mould spores are everywhere, but become a problem when they are exposed to areas that get and stay wet and begin to grow.

Everyday mould seems like an easy fix, but your problem could be much more extensive.

Some of the more common household areas where mould grows are:

  • Poorly ventilated bathrooms
  • Around kitchen sinks
  • Exterior door thresholds
  • Basements near hot water heaters

A musty smell is usually a good indication of mould growth. If you recognize that smell, open some windows and turn on a fan to ventilate the air.

When you suspect or detect mould growing in your home, it’s important to take care of it as soon as possible. There could be serious health implications if you leave the problem for too long.

Mould and Your Health

It’s well known that mould in your home can be potentially dangerous to your health. Inhalation of toxic black mould can cause respiratory issues and it becomes worse if you have underlying health conditions.

Symptoms include:

  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Irritated eyes
  • Congestion
  • Skin rashes
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches

Prolonged exposure to black mould can produce more severe symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.

Calling a professional is the best option for you and your health.

Professionals Have the Necessary Tools and Equipment

How much mould is in your home? What’s the source of the mould?

Do you have the equipment and knowledge for extensive mould remediation? Is there mould behind your walls?

A professional is the best option for problems that you aren’t properly equipped to handle. Experts will be able to fully assess the problem, remove the mould, and repair any structural damage to your house.

Our experts use:

  • Certified equipment
  • Containment
  • Negative air pressure
  • HEPA vacuums
  • Fogging with an antimicrobial

Depending on your situation, more options include the removal of drywall, cleaning, dry ice blasting, and the use of chemicals.

Specialists have the expensive, certified equipment and will take care of your problem for good. With a professional, you won’t need to worry if the job was done right.

Get Rid of the Mould for Good

If you suspect mould in your home and have read why DIY mould removal isn’t going to get the job done correctly, contact Ontario Mould Specialists for a free assessment and to learn more about our services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *